Candidiasis is the overgrowth of the yeast Candida Albicans and similar species. Candidiasis is a normal inhabitant of the GI tract, and other mucous membranes such as the mouth, nose and vaginal tract.
Anytime the immune system is under stress the candidiasis in the GI tract overgrows. This is especially true if the commensal organism of the gut is depleted. It is quite common to have vaginal yeast infection but symptoms of GI overgrowth are rare. These symptoms are mental fog, muscle weakness, and fatigue.
The overgrowth of the yeast is related to: antibiotics use, the use of alcohol, fermented beverages, IBS, diets high in simple sugars, compromised and deprived immune system.
The Three R’s: Reduce, Replace, Repair
- Reduce the yeast burden:
- Anti Candidiasis diet: Candidiasis strives on simple sugars. This includes soft drinks, juices, most breads, pastries, candies, etc. Your diet should include clean proteins, high fiber, and reduced carbohydrates. The uses of spices such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion, and sage have antifungals activity and can be added to foods. Include low sugar yogurt in diet as well.
- Antifungal: The most common in Nystatin and Diflucan both can be obtained by prescriptions. There are some natural antifungals that can also be used. The most potent is the Volatile oils from oregano, rosemary, thyme, cloves, and sage. Fatty acids such as Caprylic acid and Undecylenic acid also can be used.
- Reduction of the different forms of yeast. There are two forms of yeast, the sphere and the hyphae. The hyphae form penetrates the mucus lining of the vagina or gut and is more difficult to remove. There are several natural agents such as biotin, thymol (thyme), Eugenol (cloves), caprylic and undecylenic acids that prevent the conversion to the more resistant hyphae form. The resistant hyphae form is responsible for recurrent yeast infections.
- Replace: Probiotic is vital for successful anti candidiasis protocol. Initial therapy should use as much as 40 – 100 billion colony forming units (cfu) per day. Individuals with a propensity for recurrence should use 20 – 100 billion cfu per day. The purpose of probiotic therapy is to replace commensal organisms.
- Repair: The gut needs to be repaired with good nutrition and supplementation. The protocols of gut repair may last for several months. The anti inflammatory diet such as the mediterranean diet is recommended.
- Natural formula suggestions: Caprylic/Undecylenic acids, berberine, oregano, etc. 2 capsules twice per day. Volatile acids e-g thymol, oregano 1 capsule 2 or 3 times per day, Probiotics 40 -100 Bill cfu/day taken in divided doses.